Re: HVAC questions

John Barrer wrote:

You can also (more "profitably"??) express pressure as
energy per unit volume; this disconnects the concept
from a "surface-only" phenomenon. John Barrere
--- cliff parker <cparker@CHARTER.NET> wrote:

Two concepts of pressure have been brought up so far - energy per unit volume (quoted
above) and momentum flow (John Denker).

For an ideal gas, PV = 2/3 N <Ave Kinetic Energy of the individual molecules>.

If we take the energy per unit volume approach, and then look at the product PV, it
seems we have an excess of energy over the simple KE of the molecules. What is this
excess energy?

The momentum flow approach doesn't seem to have this difficulty.

Bob at PC