Re: A "heat" question

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

May I give an example to see if I follow you correctly? Two
containers of fluids at different temperatures are put in thermal
contact with each other. At the interface molecules collide. Because
of the finite collision time, there are equal and opposite forces on
each molecule along with corresponding displacements during the
collision time - work is done. The work results in one molecule
ending up with a higher KE value than it had and the other ends up
with a lower one. On average, the higher temperature molecules will
tend to lower values of KE, and the lower temp ones will tend to
higher values. Eventually, both containers come to the same
temperature and the average work done tends to zero - positive and
negative canceling over arbitrary time intervals. Therefore this
"Q" is simply work done at the molecular level.

and Jim Green wrote:

Bob gets an "A".

I'd like to offer a more qualified endorsement. The picture of heat
being nothing more than microscopic work is highly appealing--I use
it myself--but it fails to answer the critically important question:
"Why does reversible heat change the entropy of a system while
reversible work does not?" Entropy is "fundamental" so reversible
heat is *fundamentally* different from reversible work.

As has been discussed here before, quantum mechanics offers
significant insight into this difference and suggests that the "heat
as microscopic level work" point of view is at least somewhat naive.

See, for instance

http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0110&L=phys-l&P=R42727&D=0

and

http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0111&L=phys-l&D=0&P=25612