Re: A "heat" question

Jim Green wrote:

There is NO difference in the First Law between Q and W -- They are both
WORK -- Neither "flows" or is a substance -- Certainly neither is
"energy". The work/energy theorem is still l valid

May I give an example to see if I follow you correctly? Two containers of fluids at
different temperatures are put in thermal contact with each other. At the interface
molecules collide. Because of the finite collision time, there are equal and opposite
forces on each molecule along with corresponding displacements during the collision
time - work is done. The work results in one molecule ending up with a higher KE value
than it had and the other ends up with a lower one. On average, the higher temperature
molecules will tend to lower values of KE, and the lower temp ones will tend to higher
values. Eventually, both containers come to the same temperature and the average work
done tends to zero - positive and negative canceling over arbitrary time intervals.
Therefore this "Q" is simply work done at the molecular level.

Is this close to what you are saying?

Bob at PC