Re: a relativity question

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I agree it's the system -- But as being part of the system it has a
greater mass than when in the ground state (joke; on the ground;
even less under the ground). How the increased mass is apportioned
is beyond me.

I *think* I understand this to be indicating that you accept the idea
that mass is a property of a system, but that you still want to be
able to say that, if the mass of a system increases, then the masses
of the parts of the system must increase. (I may, however, have
misconstrued the intended antecedents of one or more of the "it"s!)

I don't think you want to go there. For example, the mass of a
nucleus is less than that of its constituents. When I excite a
nucleus, the masses of its constituents don't change even though the
mass of the nucleus does (and is *still* less than that of its
constituents.)