PER textbook discussion--work and energy

Hello again.

Once I get the chapter on applications of forces done, I'll be heading
into work and energy. (Don't forget that momentum was already covered.)
I know people have some VERY strong opinions on the best way to cover
these topics. Can we "duke it out" here on the list? I don't plan to
cover thermo yet, but it might be possible to convince me to include a
brief mention of internal energy. I really like Feynman's "Dennis and
the blocks" discussion. Since the new offices for Ruth Chabay and Bruce
Sherwood are right down the hall from my new office (we've moved our
group to a different building because we've gotten so big) I hope to
have lots of conversations with them.

Do you have any favorite examples or critical questions to raise in
students' minds? I want to be sure to mention the difference between
integrating Fdt and Fdx.

Bob

PS An overview website can be found at
<http://homepage.mac.com/beichner/Book_Discussion/>. If you'd like me
to put the Phys-L discussion there, let me know. Otherwise, we'll leave
it for the listserv archive to grab it automatically.