Re: oscillations test question

Do that's why you subjected it oscillations ...!

bc

Robert Cohen wrote:

I asked...

If the 200 grams is then stretched a distance x from the new
equilibrium point, the potential energy relative to the new=20
equilibrium point is equal to 1/2 kx^2. What do you call the
quantity 1/2 kx^2? The difference in the elastic-gravitational
potential energy?

to which Bernard Cleyet responded...

You streatched it additionally by increasing the g field?
=20
How about "doing it" horizontally using kinesthetic energy?

I stretch it by taking hold of the 200-grams and pulling it down.
I then let go. It oscillates with an amplitude x. As it
oscillates, potential energy is converted to kinetic energy
and visa-versa. The difference in potential energy (relative to
the equilibrium point x=3D0) can be calculated as
1/2 kx^2 but this reflects the *combined* potential energies of
both elastic and gravitational. So, my question is "what
do you call 1/2 kx^2?" It isn't just elastic. It isn't
just gravitational. It is both.

P.S. I can avoid the problem by only examining horizontal
springs but, in my building, it is much easier to use
vertical springs.

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; 570-422-3428; http://www.esu.edu=
/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301