Re: Student/Faculty Evaluations and Grades - Correlations

At 02:50 PM 11/11/02, you wrote:
To add some more recent data on this topic, look at the work of Valen
Johnson of the Duke Stat. Department as outlined in his NY Times article
of April 14, 2002. He shows a very positive correlation between grades
given and a positive student evaluation. i.e. the more A's you give, the
more studetn's will reward you. He has added anothe article at the Duke
web site www.stat.duke.edu/chance/153.johnson.pdf

Mike Monce
Connecticut College

While we are citing data on evaluations, I will mention that
I drove to Edmond near Oklahoma City to see an excellent student
opera production on Saturday last.
In killing time before "Hansel & Gretel" at U of Central
Oklahoma's Mitchell Hall began, I stepped into a computer lab
adjacent to a restaurant area (which seems quite a civilised colocation).

Idly looking over a briefing paper from the department of psychology,
I noticed a citation which specified a 0.3 correlation between a
popular evaluation instrument (SAT) and socioeconomic status - SES.

If I recall, the citation was White 1985. While reading it, I recalled
some discussion on this list to the effect that SES is a major predictor
of SAT performance. 0.3 does not seem, on the face of it, an
overwhelming relation. Anyone care to set me straight on this one?

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!