Applications are now being accepted for a tenure-track assistant professorship in the Department of Physics at UW-Whitewater

Dear Colleagues,

Please encourage your graduate students or colleagues to apply
for the position of tenure-track assistant professor, with duties
beginning in late August 2003, described below.

The UW-Whitewater Department of Physics has undergone a complete
generational change of staff in the past five years: in that time, I
went from our youngest at our oldest staff member! We strongly
encourage use of pedagogies shown effective by current research in
physics education. Our instructional facilities are undergoing
complete renovation, to be completed by Fall 2005. Our 41 cm
aperture Cassegrain telescope is undergoing renovation to bring it up
to research grade. We are currently educating more than 45 physics
and pre-engineering majors and a comparable number of minors and
typically graduate three to six majors a year. All faculty are
engaged in research involving undergraduates.

I look forward to hearing from some of you.

Paul Rybski

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater announces a tenure-track,
full-time faculty appointment in general physics at the assistant
professor level beginning August 24, 2003.

The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Physics or closely
related field. Demonstrated potential for excellence in
undergraduate teaching is also required. Applicants near completion
of their doctoral degree will be considered.

This position is a tenure-track, full-time teaching assignment that
also requires productive research and service activity. Candidates
must be able to teach any undergraduate physics course, including
introductory astronomy. Teaching responsibilities include setup,
maintenance and construction of equipment. Involvement of UWW
undergraduates in physics research and acquisition of extramural
support for research are required.

A complete application package must include a letter of
application, vita including all relevant professional experience,
statements of teaching philosophy and intended research, all
undergraduate and graduate transcripts (photocopies are
acceptable), and letters or email statements from at least three
(3) references. Telephone numbers or email addresses should be
included to permit us to contact the people acting as references.

Only complete applications will be given full consideration.
Review of applicants begins December 16, 2002. Unless
confidentiality is requested in writing, lists of applicants must
be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed
confidentiality.

Applications should be addressed to: Dr. Paul Rybski, Physics Search
Committee Chair, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI
53190-1790. See our web site http://academics.uww.edu/physics for
more information. The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater is an
equal opportunity employer.

--
Paul M. Rybski, Ph.D., Associate Professor and former Chair,
Dept. of Physics, and

Office FAX: (414) 472-5633
Email address: rybskip@uww.edu