Re: Question On Down Conversion.

In a message dated 10/25/2002 6:07:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jsd@MONMOUTH.COM writes:

So this is not orthogonal at all. Orthogonal wavefunctions
exhibit zero correlation. These wavefunctions are 100%
correlated. If you catch one of the photons, you can't
predict whether its angular momentum will be +1 or -1, but
you know that if you catch the other one it will be opposite
to the first

Thank you John for your fascinating post. Clearly the nonlinear crystals are
not passive players in parametric down conversion. There may be a tendency to
think of them that way given a deficient knowledge of solid state physics.
(i.e., me) This explains the mystery of how we account for linear and angular
momentum values expected after the down conversion takes place.

Bob Zannelli