Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

At some time the increasing forward linear speed of the wheel will equal the
decreasing tangential speed of the rim (R x omega). This will be the end of slippage.

There's an interesting linear problem that addresses the same issue. Drop a package
onto a moving conveyor belt. The package will slip (and accelerate) until it reaches
the speed of the belt - thereafter it moves at the speed of the belt.

Bob at PC

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Certainly most students have difficulty with the problem even thou=
gh
I give an important hint (nay, THE important hint) when I put it on
an exam. But I thought it was pretty well known to most physics
faculty.
<<

Want to share the important hint??

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429