Re: X-ray peaks

I think that's only part of the "picture".

An answer to your question is in Intro. to Modern Physics (p. 411 ff. for 6th Ed.
[1969] Richtmyer, Kennard, and Cooper). The other text I searched didn't deal with
intensities other than with a fig.

First your book's notation is non-standard (at least in 1969). The most common
notation is to name the strongest line in a series (low resolution) as alpha, next
beta, etc. In the case of U the K=>L is alpha. [X-ray spectroscopists treat
transitions as hole movement.]

Are you using statistical probabilities (number of electrons is a particular energy
level) or the probabilities between states?

For adjacent states statistical applies. Otherwise, to a limited extent, one may use
the Burger-Dorgelo-Ornstein sum rule.

bc

Savinainen Antti wrote:

Hello again,

I have a question regarding characteristic peaks in a X-ray spectrum.=
A Finnish textbook shows a typical figure on intensity against wavel=
ength with a continuous part and characteristic peaks. There is one p=
eculiarity, however: the intensity of the K(alpha) peak is smaller th=
an K(beta) and K(gamma) peaks. I have thought that the intensity of a=
characteristic peak is related to the probability at which a certain=
transition takes place and that the transition from the L-shell (n =
=3D 2) into the K-shell (n =3D 1) would be more probable than the tra=
nsition, say, from the M-shell (n =3D3).=20

Is it possible that for some elements the K(beta) peak would indeed b=
e greater than the K(alpha) peak? Or is there simply a mistake in the=
textbook?

Regards,

Antti Savinainen
Kuopio Lyseo High School