Re: No Child Left Behind

BEHIND THE BUSHES

VICTOR BALTA, STOCKTON RECORD, CA - Susan Neuman said the new federal No

Child Left Behind Act, if implemented the right way, will put an end to
creative and experimental teaching methods in the nation's classrooms.
"It will stifle, and hopefully it will kill (them)," said Neuman, U.S.
assistant secretary of education. "Our children are not laboratory
rats." Neuman, who is principally responsible for implementing President

Bush's No Child Left Behind Act, was in Stockton on to speak at
University of the Pacific's Faye Spanos Concert Hall. . .

Courtesy of UnderNews 10/25/02

bc

In other words it will kill PER and students will be subjected to the same
old tired methods that are not working. If medicine did the same thing,
none of the modern medical miracles would ever have been invented. We would
still be using leeches routinely to treat patients.

At least he has actually said it. However, the legislation clearly mandates
research based methods of teaching. Whether they look at the large body of
research or ignore it in favor of a narrow focus on only didactic methods
and high stakes testing remains to be seen.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX