Re: Work and Energy

I don't think there have been any responses to this request yet, so I
will throw out a couple of suggestions. I think at least the
following two texts are worth looking at for their treatments of work
and energy among other things:

"Matter and Interactions" (Wiley, 2000) by Chabay and Sherwood

and

"Physics: A Contemporary Perspective" (Addison-Wesley, 1997) by Knight

Both are nontraditional calculus-based texts. Sorry that I don't
have any recommendations in the algebra-based arena.

Here we go again! My students (algebra based intro course, mostly
bio majors) are, as I expected, struggling with work and energy, the
so-called "work-kinetic energy theorem," conservative and
non-conservative forces, "work done by friction," etc. We use Serway
and Faughn and I think the work and energy chapter is one of the
weakest in the book. The authors either have not read the literature
(Arons, et al) or they disagree with what Arons and others have to
say. I have seen the next edition and there is little improvement.
Among other things, the layout is so cluttered that, were I a
student, I would have a hard time getting to the essential ideas.

Recent phys-l postings have again raised some work-energy questions
and this prompts my query. In your opinion, which of the intro texts
handles this material best?

John Milton
DePaul University, Chicago