Re: Hewitt Special Relativity Example (Long)

At 22:46 -0700 10/19/02, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

I don't see how this "immediately follows" unless one refers to the
relativistic Doppler shift formula. It certainly isn't true for
sound. But if there is a simple argument that has eluded me, I'd
like to hear it. Hewitt offers none and even if these is one, I'd be
surprised to find that the result is "obvious" to the target student
population unless it is "obvious" for all the wrong reasons--e.g.,
"1/2 is the inverse of 2."

I haven't looked at the video in a couple of years, since I quit
full-time teaching. I don't have it with me--it's at school, but I'll
try to take another look at it in the next week or so and see if I
can answer your comment. When I saw it done the first time, I don't
recall having any problems following his development.

Maybe I shouldn't admit to that :-)

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell