Re: MentorNet (one woman's response) - PART 1

Hake wrote in part, in his distinctive style:

. . .AND NOT
SINGLE- MINDEDNESS, BUT DEDICATION AND PERSEVERANCE. For the moment,
I hope that you will accept this as a working hypothesis. . .(My
CAPS.)
GEORGI-GEORGI-GEORGI-GEORGI-GEORGI-GEORGI-GEORGI

If someone had asked me to define "single mindedness" in the science game, I
would say that it means to have dedication and to perseverance. These and
other words are so close to being synonyms that the differences are
impossible to discuss as everybody has slightly different connotations for
such words.

I suspect that Georgi is referring to a difference in degree of dedication
and perseverance; but I don't know that to be the case from the quote.

Joel Rauber