Re: Lazy?

If one opens the advanced menu, one will find a further menu to select 10, 20, 30,
50, or 100! displayed results.

bc who remembers? a previous version of google that permitted the default to be
greater than just ten.

p.s. how backwards, Netscape's (V. 4.77) dict. doesn't include google!

Larry Cartwright wrote:

David Bonar wrote:
I think that going to the stacks is a great way to search a
library once you know the rough call number by finding a
couple of related books in the catalog. It solves all of
the issues about knowing the best keywords because you only
need to get close.

Well spoken! I believe that the usefulness of librarians' catalogs has
been highly overrated as a research tool. Once the catalog has given me
a general picture of the locations of the type of information I am
seeking, I find that I get far more bang for my buck browsing the stacks
than I get from continuing to pore through the catalog. I'm convinced I
get a better feel for the available resources when I am in the stacks,
and I am not at the mercy of what details the cataloguer chose to
include or omit.

I believe that most websearch utilities, such as Google, give more of
the feel of browsing the stacks than of tickling the catalog. IMHO they
could be improved by including more "hits" per page; a short list of
search returns is like having one's peripheral vision obscured while in
the stacks.

cut

also the position of Sergey, Marc, James, and Larry.