Re: Lazy?

Ladies and Gentleman,

I don't post to this listserve often; but I do read the postings almost
religiously.

I think there is something here we are forgetting: proponents of the web
will say, "The advantage of the web is that anyone can publish their work."
Be that as it may, detractors of web research would say, "The problem with
the web is that anyone can publish their work."

Let's face it: 80% percent (I guessed at this figure) of the work done on
the web is not substantiated, i.e., their are no bibliographies or footnotes
that would lead the reader to believe the work can be substantiated or
researched.

We have an obligation as pedagogues, as per National Science Standards (not
to mention State Standards, if they have been implemented) to expose
students to the "Historical and Social Perspectives of Science." Although
the term 'perspective' is subjective -- entire editions of history textbooks
have been re-written on the basis of cultural perspective -- we have an
obligation to students to present to them that the field of science is not
without precedent. The 'big wigs' we know today have only the notoriety
they have today because they "have stood on the shoulders" of those before
them.

If we have students conduct research, we must make sure they glean their
information from reliable sources. A bibliography is crucial in this
respect. I, personally, would expect students to include both paper and web
resources. A web-bibliography is not unheard of in this day and age;
nevertheless, for a 'good' paper, research cannot be based on web resources
alone. With such a wealth of 'paper' resources, how can we, in good
conscience, deny students the education of researching the past? I am only
28 years of age; and yet, I have had some of the most exhilarating
experiences of my life witnessing the original manuscripts (under glass) of
Galileo, Roentgen, de Brahe, Newton, etc., during my travels abroad.
Students may not have the advantage of seeing original manuscripts;
nevertheless, the doctored 'manuscripts' on the web are a poor substitute.

In short, I see no problem expecting of students library research. It
connects the modern generation with the past, which is should be required of
all science classes.

davis.