Re: Lazy?

I've had students tell me that they refuse to go to the library because all
of the books are out of date. They refused to believe that anything over two
years old could possibly be useful. These are the same students who were
absolutely insistent that the information in the first Web site they came
across (a manufacturer's site, at that) was the gospel truth, and couldn't
be budged from that position. *sigh*

In the old days before Internet, grade-school kids would use encyclopedias
as quick and easy references for their school reports. College professors
had to discourage this practice & steer students to books and journals,
where in-depth information could be found. Replace "encyclopedia" with
"Internet," and the problem is the same. The Internet is great for looking
up specific pieces of information, but abysmal as a source of knowledge in
depth. It is even more abysmal as an archive of past knowledge. (Example:
examining social attitudes through examination of 1930's ads...can find
original material easily in a libary, but not on the Web, because these ads
wouldn't be preserved.)

If you really know how to use a library, finding information is easy. I
agree, however, that card catalogs became much harder to use when the cards
were exchanged for computers. Part of this is the primitive software design,
part is that scrolling down a screen is actually slower than flipping
through the card catalog drawer. I do like, however, the ability to search
the catalogs of other libraries besides my own. If you want your students to
use the library, you have to teach them why and how. The librarians can help
you here. Libraries are market-driven. If enough students use the books, the
librarians won't get rid of the books.

Vickie