What is this?

Sorry for the cross-post, but I can¹t tell if this is a physics or a
chemistry question. I have discovered a rather interesting item in our
storeroom, and I haven¹t a clue what it is for. It is a metal disk, about an
inch thick and a foot in diameter, with what appears to be a gold coating on
one face. The gold-coated face makes a very nice plane mirror. It¹s nice and
heavy, and comes in a grey wooden box. Any ideas?

Mike

--
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School