Re: Gender Terms (was MentorNet)

At 06:55 PM 10/14/02, Richard Hake, you wrote:
... I merely wanted to
assure the reader that the use of "girls" was put down exactly as
printed, i.e., was NOT my wording, and thus protect myself from the
criticism of those who think that using the word "girl" to describe
ANY female constitutes an insult.

The Association of American Colleges (1986) thinks that the word
"girl" stereotypes women and recommends that it be replaced by
"woman." No qualifications regarding e.g., physical maturity, mental
maturity, age, school grade, location of the word (as on doors),
state laws regarding executability, profession, rank, ethnicity, or
yearly income are given.

Richard Hake

In my sensible view, which does not necessarily coincide with the
efflorescences of the Association of American Colleges, the term
'girl' is indeed a stereotypical and dismissive term for 'women'.

In a college context, the campus population is composed of
young men, young women, men, women, and a very few girls
and boys. 'Men' and 'women' seem both sensible and
appropriately respectful shorthand terms for their paying
customers.

Moreover, I agree that the term 'girls' for all females, is in
fact derogatory. Still, I advocate calling a spade a spade,
when so indicated.

Sincerely,

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!