Re: MentorNet (one woman's response)

"In his Phys-L post of 14 Oct 2002 00:10:41-0700 on this thread,
Bernard Cleyet wrote: "Have you read Pythagoras' Trousers?"

"My pleas (Hake 2002) for more adequate referencing on discussion list
posts [consistent with Pea's (1999) wild idea that discussion lists
might actually contribute to improving education research and
practice rather than just serving as electronic pubs for exchanging
opinions and tidbits of information] has evidently fallen mostly on
deaf ears (or should I say "bleary eyes").

The Cleyet reference is (Wertheim 1997). See the interesting
commentary by condensed-matter physicist Markowitz (2000)."

I thought the purpose of referencing lit.. is for easy finding.

Ina book p. # and edition help. If the title is ambiguous then the Author helps.

Ina journal article then just about everything is useful (J.'s title, p., volume, date,
author, etc.)

However, if the book in general, as in do you know of, read it, what do you think of,
etc.?, is referenced, then the title only (correctly spelt, spelled?), unless a very
common one, is sufficient.

P's Trousers is highly unusual, not a text, therefore, only one ed. (recently pub'd --
'97), best seller(?), so why is more desired?

Google delivers 708 for "pythagoras' trousers" the first ~ 20 are for the book and the
third is a seller thereof.

bc who >95% of the time gives adequate references, and is, therefore, bristling!

p.s. "See the interesting commentary by condensed-matter physicist Markowitz (2000)."

markowitz "pythagoras' trousers" delivers three! 2000 is redundant.

Richard Hake wrote:

Please excuse this cross-posting (in the interest of physics
inter-group synergy and gender equity) to discussion lists with

cut