Re: A Bio And A Movie: Nash.

At 21:36 -0500 10/12/02, John Clement wrote:

After looking at the web bio for a second time, I was struck by one thing.
Nash seems to consider that he returned to sanity by applying rational
thought. I doubt that this is entirely true, because schizophrenia has so
far been very resistant to non drug therapy. However there is a form of
therapy which is effective in certain types of disorders such as depression.
It is called "cognitive therapy" and seems to produce the same type of brain
chemistry changes that can be induced by antidepressants. It is also very
successful in changing the behavior of problem youths.

I have heard that he still has these imaginary people in his life,
but that he claims that he simply ignores them, telling them they
don't exist so he no longer has to pay any attention to them. He may
still be taking drugs in addition, however. It was also my
understanding (possibly mistaken) that he and his wife remarried at
some point. She was with him, I believe, at the Academy Awards show.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>