Re: Physics First Content (refocus)

I think this question is part of the problem. The question should not be
what is the necessary content. It should be how can student thinking be
improved. According to Shayer and Adey in "Really Raising Standards" the
best way of achieving this goal is through science content, but focusing on
the content means putting it above the process skills that students must
learn. I realize that the state standards prescribe content, and as a
result teachers tend to teach "stuff" that can be memorized for the high
stakes tests.

In science almost any content can be used to raise thinking skill. Indeed
"Thinking Science" by the above authors uses a variety of content drawn from
all areas. Unfortunately at this point it has been misimplemented in the
United States in a district in AZ. The problem is that a successful
researched program is often adapted by teachers who do not understand how
and why it works. Researched material should never be adapted until
baseline tests have been made with the unaccepted version, and then
adaptations need to be tested. This takes years of careful work.

However, in an interest in answering the question at hand, here is what I
would do. At the middle school and 9th grade level I would in physics at
minimum attack the ideas of position, velocity, acceleration, and NTN's
laws. However, this should only be done using 1 dimensional examples. I
would look for gain in the FCI/FMCE tests. A very suitable program is
available using Clement&Camp "Preconceptions in Mechanics", Kendall/Hunt.
In chemistry I would attack the idea of molecules, and suitable material is
"Introductory Physical Science",Uri Haber-Schaim, Science Curriculum Inc.,
Belmont, Mass http://www.sci-ips.com/ . This book is the only book
considered acceptable for middle school by the Hubisz report. In addition I
would consider using the base Thinking Science modules 1-12 which help the
students acquire conservation and proportional reasoning. I would also use
motion detectors with the origin adjusted to be out in front of the detector
and make students do experiments that involve both positive and negative
positions. This means you must use computers instead of calculators to take
data. Some of the Tools for Scientific Thinking labs from Vernier could be
used www.vernier.com .

Notice that these recommendations are aimed more at the process than at
specific material. The state curriculum planners are often attuned to the
wrong thing, just as students are attuned to the wrong thing. When students
ask me what the answer to a question is I refuse to tell them. I push them
instead to focus on what is the reasoning that must be used to get the
answer. The curriculum planners are focusing on getting students to give
scientifically correct answers on MC tests. This focus actually lowers
students' ability to think.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
Hugh Haskel wrote:

* * begin quote * *
Think of the poor biology profs who have had this problem for
years--they get all these stude

This group is amazing! It took exactly 3 replies to have the subject and
content be unrelated to the original question. Do we not know how to
change the subject heading in our posts?

The post leading to Dr Lederman's article was useful, thanks for that. The
posting on keeping the kids who want to be doctors on the route to Physics
is on its way to the counseling center. Thanks. However.......

My issue/problem is that in the great state of Colorado, our sophomores
will be tested in March (2004) on topics to include Earth and Space
Science, Life Science and Physical Science (topics taken from Physics and
Chemistry). Our politicians have decided this and are well entrenched.

We offer a freshman class called Introduction to Physical and Earth
Science. It is not Physics First but there is some Physics. To meet the
needs of the political environment and the philosophical movement. What is
a curriculum planner to do?

So help me decide the essential physics that must be in the introductory
class.

Thanks

Ken Fox
Science Department Coordinator
IB Physics Teacher
Smoky Hill High School
Aurora, CO
kfox@mail.ccsd.k12.co.us

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC,
NAU or the AAPT.