Re: MentorNet (one woman's response)

So, what shall we do? A. Shall we require that every new physics hire
at University X shall be a woman until the % of women in physics becomes
equal to ~50%? (regardless of whether or not an equally or better
qualified male applies or not). B. Or shall we try to educate those
chauvinistic male administrators to the fact that women can be equally
effective as men at any position they are equally prepared for, and
perhaps try to encourage and support women in their efforts to obtain
advanced degrees in physics? I believe that A. is closer to the actual
way affirmative action has manifested itself in our society. What
solution do you suggest?