Re: Why Physics First?

People!

I just sent to the candidate we (GK and I) support for Superintendent of Public
Instruction the following. I do hope I needn't have enquired first for correction.

"Candidate O’Connell:

A two decades long revolution continues in the teaching of Physics begun by David
Hestenes at Arizona S.U. Texas and other states are resisting the institution of
this modeling method. Mainly by inertia and the institution of incompatible required
texts and tests. Numerous peer review studies have verified the success of this new
method. I highly recommend you act to allow it to continue in California. If you
are ignorant of this highly successful method, I suggest the following web site:
http://modeling.la.asu.edu/modeling.html

California teachers are being trained in this method. For example at CSU, Fresno:
http://www.csufresno.edu/fcept/events/modelingphysics.html

Again, I do hope you will assist the completion of this revolution in California.

BC"

I do hope this is the position of the majority of you.

Thanks,

bc who tried, but was unable, easily, to remove the passive voice in the third
paragraph.

John Clement wrote:

Please excuse the cross post, but there are now 2 debates on the same topic
about both topics.

cut

Changing the pedagogy to enhance learning is supposed to be solved by
training teachers better. The problem of getting different departments
together at the university level is a well known difficulty. Beyond that
most professionals in physical science and math. departments do not endorse
or use inquiry learning. Many think that didactic methods are the only ones
that work, and they will not cooperate in such an endeavor. In the physics
community many do not accept FCI/FMCE results and do not accept that the
Hake survey shows that dramatic improvements in education can be made. As a
result prospective teachers are only exposed to inquiry by reading about it
in education texts and they are not equipped to implement it.

Assuming that it is possible at some universities to have a truce in the
turf wars and implement inquiry training, another mine field awaits. Once
teachers have been taught by inquiry methods, they then have to implement
them in the classroom. This is just as big a leap. Schools often oppose
it. Conventional textbooks are mandated, and some schools mandate that
every teacher in a subject has to be on the same page on the same day. This
is now becoming prevalent in TX districts. Mentor teachers oppose it and
force the trainees to use conventional didactic methods.

This also does not take into account the high stakes testing which forces
teachers to teach a scattergun approach so that all topics are covered.
Frequently principals will mandate constant review exercises which are
didactic in nature.

cut