Physics First Content

Okay, the debate of Physics First or not seems to rest heavily on what we
mean by Physics First. Clearly whatever is offered need be less math
dependent than what is often presented in Physics Last.

Let's see if we can reach consensus on what content (and to what
sophistication) a Physics First Course would include so that a Chemistry
class has a stronger foundation which then permits a more vital Biology
Class.

To give a start, off the top of my head:
1. Measurement of space, mass and time in metric units of the everyday
world. (uncertainties? standard deviations?)

2. Cause and effect: Forces (unbalanced) are necessary to change the
motion of objects.
There are changes in (motion, energy, ...) as a result of (force, work,
heat...)

3. Energy both kinetic and potential and how these states are altered.
Conservation of energy in closed systems.

4. Waves carry energy and information without material transportation.

5. Interactions of charged bodies. Potentials and potential differences.

Looking forward to this extension.

Ken Fox
Science Department Coordinator
IB Physics Teacher