Re: Why Physics First?

At 16:43 -0400 10/10/02, S Goelzer wrote:

I really disagree with the idea that physics can be made so simple. It
is already evident from a current thread that acceleration is very
difficult to teach to upper levels. Having spent some years trying to
teach the acceleration concept to freshman has made me believe that
most of them are not old enough to 'get' rate of a rate. Does not
matter how many demos or activities ( I do many) - only a very few can
get it. Not their fault, they are not ready. The most they can
identify is change or no change in speed; rate of change is too hard.
According to the NH strands for curriculum, freshman should be studying
physics, chem, and earth sci. Our school does about 2 quarters physics
(heavy on energy), basic chemistry for 1 quarter, earth science for the
last quarter. Physics is then offered to Juniors and Seniors.

I prefer to have Juniors take physics. They are just about ready and
have finished Algebra and Geometry. Physics is hands-on and concrete
for most of my students. Students who then move on to the abstract
studies in chemistry are better prepared.

I didn't say it was being made simple, only that you can do it
without having to worry about math most of the kids haven't had yet.
Almost all of the concepts we hold dear can be taught in one
dimension. If the students understand what goes on in one dimension,
then extending to two, three, four or even more dimensions is not all
that difficult, and can easily wait until they are more mature.

Yes, acceleration is a difficult topic for the students to
understand. All the more reason for keeping it in one dimension until
they can see what is going on. They don't need to do trig on inclined
planes to understand what is going on. There is time for that later.
If they see the same ideas that they learned earlier in one dimension
now expanded to two and three dimensions, the reinforcement of what
they already have learned once will make the extension that much
easier.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell