From: Bob LaMontagne
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Why Physics First?

This frightens me. Most elementary teachers not only have incredibly poor
science
skills, many are openly anti-science. I've taught evening courses for
elementary
teachers who needed science credits - and I've also taught a high school
physics
course - I'd rather teach the high school students any day! The elementary
teachers
were only interested in getting a passing grade so they could get their next
pay
increment. There was no curiosity of any kind - it was just "tell me what to
memorize
for the exam". I'm really scared of the idea of these people teaching
science to
elementary students - they're far better off waiting until high school where
the
science teachers actually have some science in their undergraduate course
work.