Re: Work-energy worries

At 23:47 08 10 2002 , the following was received:
John Mallinckrodt wrote:
> ... After all, who
> among us--other than, perhaps, myself (and I'm not so sure about
> that)--is flexible enough to accommodate the notion that the boater
> does work on herself.

The boater does work on the boater. In more detail,
various parts of the boater do work on the other parts.
This hardly seems like a feat of flexibility; it seems
like the only reasonable way to approach the issue. This
is the Nth reincarnation of the "skater" question.
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/car-go.htm#sec-skater

I agree with JohnD. Yes indeed JohnM's approach of using the idea of
pseudowork seems to me to be quite unnecessary. Each time the ice skater
problem comes up, I get out JohnM's work paper and try to get some help out
of it. I am still trying. But I keep the reprint. <g>

Especially for intro students, W=dKE ought to be enough, if the various
systems are broken down appropriately.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen