Re: Work-energy worries

But all of the PHYS-L debate about proper usage of work and energy
terminology that I have followed has caused me to worry (possibly more than
I should) about items like part b of this problem. Would some object to
this sort of question? (The expected response is that the work should equal
the total KE aquired by the boat, boater, and anchor.)

Well, your students are expected to know that W=dKE -- that work done on a
system = the increase in KE of the system.

But I agree that your wording would be better as "the work should equal the
increase in the level of KE by the boat etc."

The word "aquire" may imply to a student that the energy "flowed" into the
boat etc -- ie that KE is a substance -- terrible physics.

At least it is in my classroom.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen