Re: teaching vectors

From: Raeghan Graessle <rbyrne1@LUC.EDU>

I am looking for a creative way to teach vectors
to my conceptual physics class (high school level).
Any suggestions?

I've used a "treasure hunt" activity. Divide the class up into two teams (can also be done with more teams). One team's job is to hide the treasure and to make out a set of instructions on how to get from the starting point to the treasure. The instructions consist of a series of vectors (e.g. 50 meters at a heading of 120 degrees). I'd place a poker chip at the tip of each vector so the other team will know when they're in the right place. The other team's job is to follow the instructions and find the treasure one vector at a time. This has worked well for in the past.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
Home Page http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/index.html
I don't have a Lexus, but I do have a Mac. Same thing.