Re: grades, pass/fail etc.

I think that Tina's list of courses below is very interesting! Clearly NOT
a classical education. The ultimate question is (and certainly can't be
answered by any one graduate) whether this 'interesting' and popular set of
courses produces better teachers, lawyers (like we need more), doctors,
CEOs, Indian Chiefs, etc. than more traditional courses. Now it may be that
these _are_ traditional courses just dressed up with interesting (and in
some cases 'political') names.

OTOH--I think a College like mine (Saint Mary's
College--Indiana--Women's/Catholic) with a much more traditional (both in
name and content) set of General Ed requirements, can point to a _very_ high
success rate of our graduates in a wide variety of fields. The point being,
whether or not the students are 'flocking' to our Literature, Philosophy,
History, Math, and Science courses, in the end, their education is serving
them quite well (and graduates agree with this assessment.)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Mac versions of Lab Simulations