Re: elastic collisions

"... My recommendation is consistent with the usage in
atomic physics, where a collision that leaves one
of the molecules in an excited rotational state is
considered inelastic."

Or any excited state, à la Frank - Hertz?

bc

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Jeff Weitz wrote:
elastic collisions, which are usually defined as collisions
that conserve total kinetic energy, or so I've always thought.

OK for point particles ....

Now we have an august textbook that defines elastic collisions
as collisions in which, "in the cm frame, the velocity changes
in direction, but not in magnitude." (p129) Later, in the discussion

cut

My recommendation is consistent with the usage in
atomic physics, where a collision that leaves one
of the molecules in an excited rotational state is
considered inelastic.

I am aware that some people, especially in elementary
texts, use "elastic" as a synonym for "nondissipative"
but I don't recommend that. And in particular you
should !!not!! try to come up with an elementary
mechanical definition of nondissipative. Many people
have tried and failed. Dissipation depends on entropy.
You can't derive entropy from energy or vice versa.