From: John S. Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 10:35 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Tire marks on road

"Fakhruddin, Hasanbhai" wrote:

A tire mark on a road due to hard braking is dark at one end and fades
out at the other. Which way was the vehicle moving when the brakes
were
slammed?

This morning I wondered when I saw such marks.

http://www.google.com/search?q=tire+skid-marks+lighter+darker

Or you could just read this month's Car and Driver.
See handy table at end of article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2002/october/200210
_feature_skidroad.xml

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC, NAU or
the AAPT.