Re: grades, pass/fail etc.

I don't think that pass/fail courses work for most students. My sister is in a school that doesn't assign grades. She is not the motivated student and has trouble keeping up and all sorts of stuff.
I remember my pass/fail classes in grad school.

I know that I was not enough of a motivated student to just handle a mid-term, final and lab report.

As a teacher, I find that students aren't that motivated either. I do grade homework...(real loosely). Because I am a doormat sometimes, I give the students a one day grace period for their homework. Needless to say, not one student has turned in an assignment on time all semester.

I feel I need to assign more homework, labs, etc, otherwise students just don't work.

Most of the students here feel that if they are in class everyday they should pass with at least a C..regardless if they do any work or pass any tests.

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429