Re: ideas for physics projects?

Here's one of practical application for a pre-silicon age:

Pendula are the most accurate mechanical* clocks. Their inaccuracy arises from
amplitude variation and length. The amplitude variation has been largely
solved by keeping the escapement force constant and enclosing the pendulum in a
case (They could explore novel methods. The case, however, ensures
stratification in temperature (sufficient wind for uniformity will disturb the
pendulum). Your engineers can estimate the difference in temp. bob to mount
for a given air temp. difference, and measure it in the lab. They can design a
case heater that maintains a uniform temp. in the case. Another method is to
use compensation methods. One already in use is to use mercury in the bob,
which on expansion raises the center of gravity of the bob to compensate the
lengthening of the suspension. A friend is exploring the use of a material
that, through a change of state, has a region of negative temperature
coefficient.

bc

*Piezo electric xtals are mechanical, but require an electronic interface. I
understand that torsion spring clocks are not as accurate.

earthlink Robert Hunt wrote:

I sometimes give my sophomore engineering physics students lab projects
where they work primarily outside of class in groups to learn some physics
and at the same time engage in hands-on activities which engineering
students tend to really enjoy. I have used, the perhaps overused, mousetrap
engines where they conduct experiments on mousetraps and learn how to
analyze spring-energized rotating objects as well as generate energy
transfer mechanisms for various kinds of cars. Another successful one was
to design a package to keep hamburgers warm at fast food places. They had
to develop material on Newton's law of cooling and other thermodynamics
principles which were not covered in class.

I am looking for new ideas for a student project, and would appreciate any
feedback.

Bob Hunt