Re: idealism vs materialism

Dan MacIsaac wrote in part:

If I'm allowed mass-energy
equivalence, then I'm comfortable being called a materialist, though I
likely don't understand all of the philosophy behind that term.

I'm not comfortable with that. Please consider
-- angular momentum
-- charge
-- etc.
which are not equivalent to mass/energy, but are (according
to my philosophy) just as real.

http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/reality-reductionism.htm

==============

In general I find it best to avoid signing up under any
labels.
-- Am I a materialist? No.
-- Am I an idealist (in the philosophical sense)? No.
-- Am I a utilitarian (in the philosophical sense)? No.
-- Am I a Bayesian? No.
-- Am I a Keynesian? No.
-- Am I a Newtonian? No. A Newtonian is a kind of telescope.

I agree with some of the things Newton said. I disagree with
others. The same goes for all other schools of thought.