Re: University Physics

Tina

I would suggest the following:

use vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a(xf-xi)

The trick appears to be to let xi = vi*0.5sec.

Since vf=0,

0^2 = vi^2 - 2*6*(50 - vi*0.5)

giving vi = 21.68

Hope that's one of the answers! It would be embarrasing to post a wrong
solution to this group!!!!

Bob at PC

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Does anyone here use University Physics by Reese?

I am stuck on this problem, its multiple choice and I can get 3 of th=
e 5 choices :(

Here's the problem if anyone is interested....
Assume that the brakes of your car can slow it with an acceleration o=
f magnitude 6 m/s2. If Homer steps onto the road 50 m in front of yo=
ur car, what is the maximum speed you could be going in order to avoi=
d hitting Homer? Assume that it takes you 0.5 s to hit the brakes an=
d that you have constant acceleration during braking. =20

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429