Re: Exam do's and don'ts (formerly RE: Projectile Motion)

In general this is good advice. However, for problem solving tests it can
be questioned. If one only tests the same types and same format of
problems, then it is very likely that what you will assess is the student's
ability to memorize previously done problems and use those as algorithms
into which new numbers can be plugged. In order to _really_ test problem
solving skills, the test problems must be different enough so that the
students have to apply the PHYSICS and demonstrate their skills. You have
to decide exactly what it is you want to test but also pay some attention to
the research on how students tend to approach simple problem solving. If
your goals are consistent with algorithmic problem solving then fine--stay
with simple, level 1, back of chapter problems. If your goal is to move
students beyond novice techniques, then the assessment tools will need to
reflect this. The test problems don't have to come out of left field, they
simply need to be different enough so that students can't map the solution
of test problem A onto the solution of homework problem B.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Mac versions of Lab Simulations