Re: Projectile Motion

You have to spend some time working on the separation of the horizontal and
vertical motions. I've been doing an in-class experiment where we fire a
projectile horizontally from the lecture desk but at different speeds, hence
different ranges. Using the Pasco free-fall equipment and a photogate at
the launcher, one can time how long it takes to get to the ground. This is
a good experiment to show that the vertical motion is independent of the
horizontal. Also do the shoot the monkey demo. I use my Animated
Chalkboard programs (free from the site below) to plot both the vertical and
horizontal motions of a cannon ball while watching the motion. There is
also a version of the shoot the monkey. I then give conceptual
quizzes--first asking everything about a ball thrown straight up
(velocities, accelerations, forces), then the same questions about the ball
in 2-D trajectory motion. At this point we are ready to do 2-D problems!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Mac versions of Lab Simulations