Projectile Motion

If, I may, pull this list back to physics and the practical aspect of=
teaching physics...

My college-algebra physics students had their first test over kinematics incl=
uding projectile motion.

As I was grading the papers with increasing distress, every single st=
udent got the same concept wrong.

For some reason, they didn't get that in projectile motion, the initi=
al velocity needs to be broken into its x and y components. Now I di=
d examples of this in class, it was on their homework and the day bef=
ore the test I had them come to the board and workout projectile pro=
blems. =20

Not a hint that they didn't get this distinction. However I do give =
them a formula sheet. I had just given them the 1D equations and the=
y were confused so I told them I would give it to them in components =
form (yea I know..)

So they actually had the kinematic equations in x and y...
Why don't they get it?
How can I make them get it?

Thanks Tina

If this doesn't post I am going to scream...

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429