Re: Surplus weather balloon source?

At 07:16 AM 9/20/02, you wrote:
Another idea is to coerce someone who knows how to sew and buy them t=
he material.....
Tina

Tina Fanetti

In this connection, 2 ounce (per sq yard) dress lining which is polyester
is a suitable material. A sewing machine with zig-zag stitch is the preferred
method. Dress lining can be had in (I think) 5 ft widths at about $1 per
running yard on sale. For a good size balloon, that's still not super
cheap.
And the material needs a coating, even for hot air use.

Last time I looked, there were blow by blow descriptions of hot air balloon
making on the web. This material is similar to the 'rag' cover for some
light airplanes, too.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!