Re: wrong physics explanations-misconceptions

I would not consider the ether theory, (or even the Ptolemaic astronomy) to
be misconceptions. At the time, it served a purpose, and it was not designed
to mislead.

We owe our predecessors some respect. There are some things we accept now
that will be overturned in a few years, or a few centuries.

In my opinion, one common misconception involves attempts to beat the laws
of thermodynamics, by designing (and even offering for sale?) perpetual
motion machines. This is a misconception, or worse.

Somewhat related to the above:
Articles about applications of fuel cells, in respectable (non technical)
publications.

Often, but thankfully, not always, the articles will stress the fact that
hydrogen is everywhere. The impression one gets from reading these articles
is that we would get a perpetual motion machine.

Fouad Ajami
Physics Department
Champlain College
St Lambert, Qc, Canada