Re: vector components and notation

From: Rick Tarara <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU>

Understand that most of the quibbling over vectors, component vectors, basis
vectors, projections of vectors, etc. is meaningless to 99% of our students.
They are sufficiently confused over whether the x-component is Asin(theta)
or Acos(theta). It's of course best to be consistent and 'correct', but
getting anal over it won't really help most students. ;-)

You're mostly correct, but I'm consistently amused at how we are supposed to impart order and consistency to our students when we can't even agree on things among ourselves. Their confusion is a reflection of our confusion.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
Home Page http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/index.html
I don't have a Lexus, but I do have a Mac. Same thing.