Re: barrier penetration, evanescent waves

Coincidence:

Thursday September 19 @ 04.pm SCI 242
* Physics Seminar * Fall 2002 *

Professor Ramen Bahuguna
Physics Department
San Jose State University

A Holographic Fingerprint Sensor

A prism fingerprint sensor based on total internal reflection has an inherent

problem: the image is aberrated and distorted. The main reason is that the
image is inclined to the camera and expensive optics is needed to correct the

aberrations.
A simple holographic optical element (a holographic diffraction grating) can
correct the above problems. A fingerprint sensor incorporating such a
grating will be demonstrated.

For more information, or to get on the Physics Seminar e>mail list,
or to enroll in Phys285 (till 9/20)
please contact Carel Boekema, Seminar Coordinator.
c•boekema 4 - 5260 boekemac@aol.com
Office Hours MWF 9.30 - 10.20 and MW 11.30 - 12.20 Sci 303

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

"... But a finger has
just the right combination of compliance and texture
so that the ridges of the fingerprint absorb the
evanescent wave (while the intervening valleys don't),
resulting in a very-high-contrast image of the fingerprint."

I forgot to mention that this is the method for fingerprinting (a digital
camera views the ftir image and sends it to the DOJ)

Before I do my demo. (semi-quantitative) for the HS Physics class, the
instructor has passed out glass prisms for the students to see for
themselves.

bc who was finger printed this way as a requirement for a teaching
credential.

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

A model for barrier penetration is FTIR (frustrated total internal
reflection). The model is exact in that the equations are of the same
form (obvious, they're both described by the same wave equation).

Yup.

cut