Re: electric power surplus

Recent news articles have reported parental concern over cleanliness is
robbing their children of much needed exposure to antigens, microbes, etc.
necessary for a healthy immune system. A Dr. friend told me that the
French have had this belief for some time.

"There is no way to retrofit a 1954 Buick to be a non-polluting car."

If you mean low CO2 emission, yes. However, I think an aggressive
catalytic converter will eliminate the RHC (reactive hydrocarbons) and CO.
True, the NOx's reduction requires a low compression ratio; that would
require another engine, unless it's a low end Buik with a low performance
engine. Unfortunately, more efficient (thermodynamically) engines are NOx
polluters

bc

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

Having a daughter with asthma, I've followed the literature with special
interest. There are lots of theories and correlation related to the
increase in childhood asthma. Probably the most fascinating is the
positive correlation between wealth and asthma. It happens in fairly
homogeneous regions, like the US northeast, where asthma is more
prevalent in the richer suburbs than the poorer inner city areas. It
also happens on the international scale. In the affluent West, such as
the US and Europe, which tend to have lower pollution than developing
nations, 40% of kids may have asthma, whereas heavily polluted regions
like China show remarkably less.

cut

John Barrer wrote:

NOBODY is saying "absolutely no man-made pollutants"!
Let's stop with the artificial cataclysmic strawmen,

cut

Ford motors just got killed in an attempt to market a low poluting
vehicle. Nobody wanted to buy it. People will not buy a car that doesn't
offer something more than low polution. Honda, on the other hand, has
produced a stylish hybrid car that can actually accelerate - as a long
time Honda owner who drives long distances a couple of times a week, I'm
seriously considering purchasing one. I'd encourage anyone who is
considering a new car to test drive one - they're a real surprise. And
yes, I agree that the CAFE standards have contributed to these kind of
cars being available. On the other hand, these evolving standards have
come about by long argument from many different interests and have
become possible because of improved ability to manufacture cars and
other items to increasing tighter tolerances. There is no way to
retrofit a 1954 Buick to be a non-polluting car. If there is a true
demand for something, businesses are remarkably adept at providing the
desired product. I think we're more or less on the same page with this
one - we just have somewhat different time-tables.

Your arguments sound exactly like those of our

cut