Re: Kinematics of Throwing Balls

Hi,
I suggest an instantaneous acceleration vs time
plot including when the ball is still in the
hand. Note for average acceleration there may be
some truth in the student's though process if the
averaging period includes the throw.

Thanks
Roger Haar
U AZ physics

************************
Tina Fanetti wrote:

Hi all
While doing a demonstration involving showing free fall, one of my students asked if the I threw the ball down would it still be in free fall? I was like it is still in free fall even if you throw it down. Then he asked but the acceleration is more than g, you have accelerated the ball to throw it and there is the earth's gravitational acceleration so if you add them like vectors it is larger than g.

I was like no it's not larger than g because it is in free fall. Which I have decided was probably not a great explanation. I was like the acceleration is constant...

How better to answer the student?
Cheers
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429