Re: Kinematics of Throwing Balls

The acceleration was certainly larger than g in the act of throwing
the ball (while it's still in contact with the hand) -- that gives it
its initial velocity. But after it leaves the hand, then it indeed
is in free fall with only g as its acceleration. The force of the
hand (which gave it the acceleration a) no longer acts on the ball.
Wolfgang

Hi all
While doing a demonstration involving showing free fall, one of my st=
udents asked if the I threw the ball down would it still be in free =
fall? I was like it is still in free fall even if you throw it down.=
Then he asked but the acceleration is more than g, you have acceler=
ated the ball to throw it and there is the earth's gravitational acce=
leration so if you add them like vectors it is larger than g.

I was like no it's not larger than g because it is in free fall. Whi=
ch I have decided was probably not a great explanation. I was like t=
he acceleration is constant...

How better to answer the student?
Cheers
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429