Re: magnetic field of a long straight wire

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Cross products and wedge products both give the correct results, but
neither gives insight into the actual physics.

Neither?

Does that mean that equations never give insight into
the physics of electromagnetism?

If cross products are no good and wedge products are
no good, do you have anything better to offer? Or
should we all just give up and go home?

At the level we are discussing here (an introductory general physics course)
I think the correct term is _neither_. Both approaches give correct numerical
results that can be tested by measuring the forces between wires, the bending
of a stream of electrons in a magnetic field, etc. Insight comes at a much
later and more advanced level when exchange particles and the like are
encountered.

Cross products are good - wedge products are good - you say po-tay-to and I
say po-tah-to! Both products are devices, not explanations.

Bob at PC
(B.T.W. - The Pierre Puzzle site is wonderful - well done!)