Re: Radiation Units

"..... The "permissible yearly dose," for radiologists
and other professional people, is now 5 R per year. It
used to be much larger. The dose most of us receive
from natural sources (cosmic rays, etc.) is typically
about 200 mR. For that reason the "legally permissible
yearly dose" for general population (from man-made
sources) is now close to 200 mR."

An NPS Physicist has suggested the airlines industry is violating the law
by subjecting long haul pilots to considerably more than the legally
permissible annual dose.

He suggested that making pilots radiation workers might be a fix. I
suspect even 5 R permitted is too low.

bc

P.s. The U (UC) is cautious; their limits are half all those applicable.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Hi Tina:
Let my try to make sense out of it. Historical approach is
probably the best in this case. I will not consult books for
numbers or conversion factors.

1) It started in 1920's when it was discovered that, on the
average, English radiologists died earlier than other doctors.

cut